Ahh Monday again. Today has been super busy from the start, that’s why I am now JUST posting.
Before I jump into my post, I have something to brag about.
The article that I talked about at the end of my post yesterday actually made front page of my University’s Newspaper!
I wasn’t even aware it was on the front page until my teacher congratulated me. Not a huge deal, but for my first article I have a right to be proud ; )
Anyway, I haven’t been up to a whole lot lately. Literally all I have done this weekend was my long run and slept.
What a life I have. But for some reason I still feel super tired even after about 9 hours of sleep. I even slept through my alarm this morning and woke up an hour and half later. What is up with me?!
On the other hand, I did make these this weekend.
I still can’t believe that little puffy things can be made just from egg whites, stevia, and cinnamon. My mind is blown.
Also after a quick weight lifting session this morning before class, I whipped up a green smoothie I saw on Tina’s blog today.
I loved all of these flavors together.
While I was lifting my weights this morning, I thought about basic tips that some people don’t know or may overlook at times.
I thought it would be helpful share the things I used to not know or the things I am usually helping my mom or friends when I workout with them.
Basic Weight Training Tips
- Chest Fly’s- while doing this exercise, many people tend to put the weights directly over their face. Where in fact, they should be over your chest. It sounds silly, but you’d be surprised at how many people don’t do it correctly.
2. Resist your weights on the way DOWN. For example, if you’re doing a shoulder raise, you want to lift your arms, then resist, or go slower, on the way down. It makes the exercise more effective and gives you that toned look.
3. Full Range of Motion. I know once weights get heavy or you start getting fatigued, people tend to not complete the exercise all the way. If you are doing a bicep curl for example, you want to completely straighten your arm before you do another curl.
If you cannot complete a full range, you may need to drop down to lower weights so that you can get the full benefits of the exercise.
4. Have a slight bend in your knee. Mostly while doing dumbbells, you want to bend your knees slightly and not keep them fully locked. If you do fully lock them, most of the pressure goes to your lower back and you’re more susceptible to getting hurt.
5. Do not arch your back. This goes hand in hand with the bend in your knees. Lets say you’re doing overhead triceps, you want to tuck your pelvis under in order to avoid arching your back. Again, you could get hurt.
6. Lifting heavy won’t bulk you up. If anything, it can slim you down because you are toning your body and making it tighter, not larger.
7. Give your muscles proper rest. Your muscles don’t grow or form during your workout. They grow and tone while you are resting. That’s why you should strength train every other day to give your muscles the rest it needs.
I’m sure there are TONS more that I didn’t mention, but these were the main ones that came to mind for me.
Have you ever slept more than usual and STILL felt tired?
Thank goodness for coffee ; )
What tips do you know that I forgot?
Did you know most of these tips, or did you learn anything new?
Brag about something to me!
- Reaching Fatigue Good morning! I woke up bright and early and decided...
- Hard-Body Workout I have another great workout to share with you all...
- Hard Body Workout : Part Two Today has been a pretty relaxing day. I didn’t have...
- Protein and Roasted Veggies I’m glad that so many of you like easy stir...